Methley Plum Prunus salicina
Cannot ship to
AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, LA, MS, OR, SC, WA
(Potted trees cannot ship to California.)
A cultivar of Japanese plum, Methley is a handsome tree that is small, upright, and spreading. It produces heavy, annual crops of juicy, sweet, red-purple fruit that ripens from late May to early July, depending on location. The fruit is juicy, sweet and mild with a distinctive flavor—good for fresh eating or jelly. The Methley plum also serves as a good pollinator for other early bearing Japanese varieties.
- Produces medium to large clingstone fruit with purple-red skin and juicy red flesh with a sweet, mild flavor
- Ripens from late May to mid-July
- Blooms in early spring, profuse with clusters of sweetly fragrant, delicate white flowers
- Is self-fertile, but planting two trees is recommended for a better crop
- Will be delivered at a height of 3'–4' for bare-root; a height of 1'-3' for 4" pot; 1 3/4' - 3 1/2' for a 1-gallon pot
Spacing Guide for Fruit Trees
Your Tree’s Personality
Plum trees provide food and cover for butterfly larva, birds and mammals.
Called Japanese plums, this species actually originated in China where it was cultivated for thousands of years. It was brought to Japan 200–400 years ago and now has spread around the world.
More Arbor Day Foundation Favorites