Red Delicious Apple Malus domestica 'Red Delicious'
Cannot ship to
AK, AZ, CA, HI, WA
Member Price *
Of the more than 2,500 different cultivated varieties of apple trees in North America today, the most famous and widely planted is the red delicious. Perhaps because of its mild, sweet flavor. Possibly because of the long storage life. Or maybe because the name is so appealing.
- Known as America’s favorite apple
- Produces tender, crisp, juicy fruit with a sweet, mild flavor — great for desserts and fresh eating
- Blooms mid-season and yields ripe fruit late September to mid-October
- Can be pollinated with yellow delicious, early harvest, or red Jonathan
- Will be delivered at a height of 3'–4'
Spacing Guide for Fruit Trees
Apple Tree Cross Pollination Guide
Your Tree’s Personality
Apples are eaten by a variety of birds and mammals. The leaves and branches are browsed. The trees can be destroyed by rodents and rabbits girdling the stem or trunk. The nectar and/or pollen provides nutrition for bees in early to late spring. Also, apple orchards are considered valuable habitat for wildlife.
Legend states that the red delicious apple was named when its discoverer in Iowa sent samples to a commercial nursery in 1892. The nursery owner tasted one of the apples and exclaimed, "Delicious!"
More Arbor Day Foundation Favorites